Tuesday, February 1, 2011

KOREA!!!

As most of you are already aware, I will going to teach English in Korea. In less than a month. This entry, and hopefully only a few entries preceding this post, will serve as a suitable substitute until I can get a really awesome blog going, where I will unfortunately have to cough up a certain amount of awesome money. I looked into Wordpress, and I couldn't makes sense of the setup instructions. A tech geek I am not. In any case, you might be interested in what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

I think quite a few of you are under the impression that this is some goodwill mission. This couldn't be further from the truth. For one thing, I'm getting paid to do this. I'm going to be teaching for Avalon English in Gimpo, and they'll be paying me between $1800 and $1900 a month, with housing expenses paid by the school. For another, South Korea (yes, SOUTH- North Korea would never let me in) is not a third world nation. I may only be living in a studio apartment, but I will have a toilet. I hope.

I lack direction. I hate to say it, but I do. I don't know what I want to do for a living because my interests are too diverse. I do however want to travel, learn a different language, and experience another culture. So while I may be rendering a valuable service to the people of Korea, I feel that I'm getting the better end of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment